Wednesday 18 December 2013

De concrete, it jus keeps comin'.

      Wednesday, December 18th. We receive another delivery of grey gold. Concrete.

      Backing up a week, the guys have been working from the first floor slab up. Framing bedroom and bathroom walls. And the swimming pool. Look, there's a guy standing in our pool! Well, he's standing on the floor of what will be the pool. Hey, check out the view from the pool. We like it!


      Back to today. So I drive out to the lot. This time I don't go out at the crack of dawn. I leave at ten AM and find myself behind yet another cement truck. When I get to the lot there's a que.


      This time we have the pumper truck and six, seven, eight, oh I'm tired of counting so I don't know how many trucks showed up.

      Whatever. Concrete trucks are coming out of our ears! Money is flying out of my bank account. Isn't life in the caribbean grand?




      Here comes the pumper crane. They start off pouring the pool walls and floor.




      Jim and I climb around the lot and watch the action. There's lots of yelling. Start, no stop. No start again. Wait. Start. Hold it. Pump. It moves pretty fast and the sun is starting to set.
      But we don't wait around for the last drop to be poured. We head off to our favorite watering hole to fill ourselves up.


       Many thanks to the concrete guys from St. Thomas. 'Heavy Materials.' Good name. They have to load up, Take the ferry over to St. John. Drive the entire length of the island over narrow, twisty and steep roads. Dump the stuff. Then drive all the way back to catch the ferry back to St. Thomas.
      And concrete turns to stone pretty quickly. Their timing is incredible.

      It's Xmas soon and this is the last posting of 2013. Happy holidays and have a great new year!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great pix. I'm jealous as hell of you guys. Glad you're having a ball.
    Merry Christmas.
    John & Ji Sun

    ReplyDelete